HTML/JavaScript

Image Map

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Welcome to South Africa

It seems surreal to me that we are in South Africa.  The trip getting here was long, but by the time we arrived in Cape Town we were fairly functional human beings. I don't know what we would have done if we hadn't slept for one of the eight hour legs of our trip. Thank goodness for Ambien. 

When we arrived in Johannesburg, there was a throng of people hooting and singing out in the airport's main entrance. We asked what was going on and were told that they were waiting for their victorious hometown soccer team, the Pirates, to return.  You could feel their energy and it was contagious. When the team showed up, everyone went wild. It was a wonderful way to start our African adventure.
The Jo-burg airport was fairly disorganized but I honestly didn't care. Our flight to Cape Town was an hour late, which was unfortunate because it meant less sleep for us but they fed us a full meal and even gave us complimentary wine. On a domestic flight!  Mike and I almost died of shock.  As much as I love Southwest, South African Airways has them beat there.

We arrived at our hotel around eleven at night. It is a beautiful building and they have very soft Christmas lights wrapped around a massive tree in the front that gives it a very cozy atmosphere.  We slept for about four hours and then were picked up to go diving with great white sharks!  I'll write more about that later, mainly because I want to share some pictures and we haven't been able to successfully link our GoPro with my tablet.  Boo.

So far, I'm totally in love with this country.  It's beautiful and the people are so wonderful.  They have a great sense of humor, love to laugh, and are incredibly nice.  Every day, I grow happier and happier being here.  I'm so glad that we picked South Africa for our honeymoon destination.

No comments: