HTML/JavaScript

Image Map

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Tired in Amsterdam

Amsterdam.  A city known for its canals, tulips, and, well...other things.  While I can say that I haven't been partaking in those "other things," I have been exploring different aspects of the city and having a good time doing it.

We landed Thursday morning and decided to do as much as possible before we crashed.  Our adventure began with buying train tickets to the city from the airport (which was waaay harder for us than it should have been) and then getting the keys to our apartment.  The woman who we are renting our apartment from suggested that we get an I Amsterdam card, which I highly suggest you do if you plan on taking public transit in this city.  You also get free and discounted admission into a lot of the museums and other attractions.
After purchasing our card, we took the tram to our apartment.  We decided to go on a canal cruise that afternoon, which seemed like a great idea in theory but in reality, I ended up falling asleep half way through it. Whoops.
Since I could barely keep my eyes open, Mike and I went back to take a short nap.   After we got up, we grabbed a bite to eat and then headed on to our evening's destination - Arendsnest.
Ardensnest is a beer bar that only serves Dutch beer, of which there are 30 on tap and many more in bottles.  Needless to say, we were in heaven.  The rest of the evening was spent discovering new flavors and sipping on many different Dutch beers.

The next day, we had grand plans of waking up early so that we could do all these great things.  And guess what?  It didn't happen. Sleep won out in the end.  But that's okay. We ate lunch outside near the museums and then headed over to a house museum on one of the canals.  It was beautiful and I'm glad we got away from the crowds.  We also took a stroll through the flower market, which was considerably more packed, but I'm glad we went.  Then, we came back and got ready for the wedding, which will be the subject of my next post!

No comments: