HTML/JavaScript

Image Map

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Reflecting on: South Africa

One morning after we got home, I woke up at 4 o'clock due to jet lag and while trying to fall back asleep, I came up with an idea for a new series of posts: Reflecting On.  I decided that I would publish these posts about a week after I return from a trip.  In my opinion, a week is enough time for me to reflect on my latest adventure and to put my thoughts down into words.  So here we are on my first installment.

What did I love the most about South Africa?
I loved so many things and could talk about each aspect for days, but if I had to pick one I'd go with the people.  Just about everyone we met was incredibly friendly and nice.  Of course, there are going to be some jerks (I'm looking at you slightly racist woman on the plane to Jo-burg) but I just ignore them.  Can't judge everyone based on one bad apple, right?  South Africans love to laugh and tell jokes, which immediately makes you feel as though you've been friends for years.  For me, it was a very welcoming environment.

What did I not love?
The threat of malaria.  Before you start to jump down my throat by saying things like "Well, duh! You went to Africa," I did realize this is something we were going to have to be aware of while in Kruger and KwaZulu Natal.  But we really wanted to go to these places, so taking some malaria medication didn't seem like that big of a deal.  I know that doing your best to stay healthy while exploring new places is part of traveling, and I'm fine with that.  But at the same time, it doesn't make remembering to take our pills and worry about flu like symptoms for the next year any less annoying.

If I had to change one thing about the trip, what would I have changed?
Hands down it would have been spending more time in Cape Town.  Our first "day" we arrived late at night, our second day we went shark diving which ate up a lot of our time, so we really only had day three to explore before we left.  While we did see all the major sites, I would have liked to walk around the city to get a better feel for it.

Would I ever go back?
Absolutely.  Mike and I are already talking about going back in three or four years.  The plan is still incredibly rough, but it would include spending an extended period of time in Cape Town.

Final thoughts
You know it's a good trip when a week later, the thought of spending 24 hours on a plane doesn't bother you.  This was, hands down, the best trip I have ever been on.  When I said that I didn't want to leave, I really wasn't kidding.  I can easily see myself living there, becoming a local, and really enjoying life.  I know I'm painting a super rosy picture and am quite sure that if I stayed there long enough, I would find things that annoy me.  But I have come away from this trip feeling completely euphoric, and that is a feeling I would not trade for anything.

Until my next adventure!

No comments: