HTML/JavaScript

Image Map

Monday, June 1, 2015

My own Roman Holiday

For those of you who have known me for years, it is no secret that I am a huge Audrey Hepburn fan. I'd say my obsession peaked in high school, but I still adore her to this day.  It should come as a shock to no one when I say that Roman Holiday is one of my favorite movies.

via

In high school, I was so obsessed with that movie that my friend Emily bought me a purse with Princess Ann on it for my birthday.  I loved that purse and used it all the time.

Not surprisingly, Mike had not seen this movie. This isn't a slight against him, but part of a joke we have that he hasn't seen more than 20 movies made before he was born (excluding anything by George Lucas or Disney).  Anyway, we watched it a few days before we got to Rome, and I declared that I was going to do everything Princess Ann does in the movie.  He said that was fine, as long as I did not crash a scooter into a bunch of market stands and end up at the police station.

So far, we've done the same things as Mr. Peck and Ms. Hepburn:

Stick our hands in the Bocca Della Verità

via

Get drinks at a cafe

via

Sit on the Spanish Steps

via

See the Castello Sant'Angello at night (although sadly there is no barge there where you can dance)

via

And go to the Via Margutta, where Joe Bradley (George Peck) lived.

via



Some things we have not done that they did include:
Sneak out of an embassy;
Walk around the ruins while mildly sedated;
Lie about our identities;
Cut off the majority of my hair;
Try to steal a small child's camera;
Hit a guy over the head with a guitar;
Hold a press conference.

There's always next time though ;)

No comments: