HTML/JavaScript

Image Map

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lookin Like Lobsters

The past few days around here have been pretty mellow.  Carnaval really takes a lot out of you, so we spent a day sleeping and hanging around the house.  Our bodies were grateful for the rest and the lack of alcohol in our systems.

Yesterday, Mike and I decided to hit the beach again.  The last time we went was during Carnaval and it was packed.  And when I say packed, I mean sardines-in-a-can packed.  So around noon we hopped on the Metro and went to hang out on Copacabana.  Even though we knew that it is a tourist spot, we figured that we needed to go there because we're in Rio and, well, why not?
Mike hanging out on Copacabana, pre-sunburn.
So we rented some chairs and an umbrella from one of the stands that line the beach and decided to hang out in the sun for a little.  After about 15 minutes, we slathered on some sunscreen, jumped in the water, and hung out in the shade.  Despite taking the necessary precautions against the sun, we both ended up looking like lobsters.  It looks like we sat out there for two and a half hours with no sunscreen on.  Luckily we didn't burn our backs (that would have made for a truly miserable plane ride) and the burns don't hurt all that much.  I'm thankful that I threw some aloe in my bag at the last minute.

In the evening yesterday, we went on a walk around the bay in Rio with Fabiano and some of his friends (one of which is an American woman visiting from St. Michaels, MD).  We took in the sights as the sun was setting and it was absolutely beautiful.  There were lots of yachts and small boats hanging around.
The yacht club.
When we got back, Fabiano cooked us this amazing Brazilian meal (the name of which is escaping me right now).  It was our last night with him because he had to go out to the country to organize a friend's wedding.  It was a nice night.  And it rained, which cooled everything down (thank God).  As one of Fabiano's friends said, "We only have two seasons in Brazil.  Hell and summer.  Right now it is hell." I cannot tell you how much I agree with that statement.  Especially because we have no AC.

Today Mike and I hit up some of the shops in Rio.  Fabiano introduced me to this bag designer, Gilson Martins.  Now I'm obsessed.  As soon as we walked in, we were offered cold beers (stores in America, take note).  While browsing, they kept topping us off.  I still can't decide if they were trying to be nice or trying to get us drunk so that we'd buy more.  If Mike hadn't stopped me, I probably would have bought everything in the store.  We also hit up the Havianas store in one of the malls.  Sadly, they didn't have my size in the really funky-do sandals that they don't sell in the States.  I'm holding out hope for the airport tomorrow.

Tonight the house is just about empty.  It's just me, Mike, and Lautaro.  It's probably a good thing because we need to pack but I cannot remember the house being this quiet.  Then tomorrow it's off to the airport.  I'm sad that we're leaving but it will be nice to be at home.  I'm going to turn on the AC when we walk in just because I can.  It's going to be amazing.  And probably really cold.

No comments: