HTML/JavaScript

Image Map

Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Little Bit About Provo

Our last two days in Turks and Caicos were spent on the beach, which I now miss terribly having landed in Hartford on Tuesday night. We didn't really do anything of note, so I wanted to use this post to talk about the island we were on.

Mike and I were on the island Providenciales, or Provo as most people call it. In talking to the hotel staff, we discovered that a lot of them were originally from Haiti. There were also some people from Jamaica. It was very interesting walking to the Haitians and hearing about life over there. Most of them had not been back in years.

I can understand why they would want to come to Provo. We were able to safely walk on the beach at night, which was so nice. You couldn't do that in Jamaica, and I'm guessing Haiti as well. We also walked down the main road at night and felt completely safe.
Provo is in the process of being developed. They didn't have any cars on the island before 1964.  A lot of nice, new shopping centers have gone in but thanks to what happened in 2008 a lot of the storefronts remain empty.

Since I'm typing on my phone, I'm going to cut this post short. But stay tuned!  I still have one post left that you definitely won't want to miss...

1 comment:

sherri said...

woooo can't wait for the last post :)