HTML/JavaScript

Image Map

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Bajan Food

I feel like I am learning something new about Reggie all the time on this trip. One new fact I have picked up on is that he is a really good cook. 

Since food can get expensive here, Reggie cooked up a bunch of meals and snacks in Massachusetts, froze them, and brought them down with him. We have had the pleasure of eating all sorts of yummy things, such as fish cakes, curried chicken, and oxtail soup.  And it wouldn't be a Bajan meal without hot sauce. Mike and I are absolutely hooked on this stuff. I have bought two bottles of it at the grocery store to bring back with us. 
Look at all that spicy goodness.
The few times we have gone out to eat, we have tried to stick to ordering items off the local menu. Yesterday, I had roti for lunch. When I first heard of it, I thought of the Mediterranean restaurants in DC and Chicago, but I was kind of off base. Roti is spiced meat and potatoes wrapped in shell very similar to a tortilla. It's probably one of my new favorite foods. 
Roti!
Other delicious food that we have had includes macaroni pie and turnovers. On Sunday, we are going to meet up with Reggie's family for the afternoon and I'm sure there will be many more yummy things to try. 

We have also been drinking a lot of rum and the local beer, Banks. It tastes like water and it is easy to down a few without realizing that you have.  So we have been drinking mostly rum, with any sort of mixer we can find.  We also have bottles we are bringing home. :)
Now that I've written about food, I need to go find some. 

No comments: