HTML/JavaScript

Image Map

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Family Fun in the Caribbean Sun

Before we went to Europe this past spring, I wrote that Mike and I are incredibly lucky to have friends all over the world.  I still stand by that statement and think that having friends who live and have ties to different places across the globe is fantastic.  But now, I want to change what I originally said to also include family.

For those of you who don't know, Mike's uncle, Reggie, is from Barbados.  Although he and Mike's aunt, Linda, live in Massachusetts, they still have strong ties to the island.  I love listening to Reggie talk about life there, and he is very well aware of that.  So a few months ago, he invited me and Mike to come with him and Linda to Barbados this summer.  It took us about two seconds to agree to that. 
Linda and Reggie at our wedding.
Part of the reason I am so excited for this trip is that we will get to see the island with someone who is actually from there and knows his way around, which, in my opinion, makes for a better time.  

An added bonus to this trip is that we will be going during Crop Over, which may sound familiar to some of you because Rihanna, who is originally from Barbados, sometimes takes part in it.  One of our friends whose family is from Barbados spent an evening telling me all about the celebrations, and now I can't wait to experience it, albeit with more clothing than RiRi.
Rihanna Crop Over photo rihanna-carnival3_zpsc06aad9a.jpg
via
So where exactly is Barbados?  Glad you asked!  Here's a map that will help you out:
Barbados Map photo barbados-caribbean-map_zps6588277a.png
via
As you can see, Barbados isn't super close to Chicago.  We have to connect both ways in Miami, which makes me a little nervous as I have heard less than stellar things about immigration at that airport.  Anyone care to refute that?  (Please?)  
Our flights down to Barbados didn't line up exactly the way we were hoping they would because American Airlines was only offering us layovers that had us stuck at the Miami Airport for a minimum of 9 hours (boo).  So we have decided to spend a day in Miami on our way down (yay!).  Even though Miami is not a destination abroad, I've decided to write about it anyway.  If anyone has any suggestions for things we should not miss during our 20-ish hour stay there, please let me know!

The week before this trip is going to be quite busy, so spending time at the beach is going to be very welcomed.  Keep your eyes open for posts our about upcoming various island adventures!  

Also, I created a Facebook page for my blog.  Like it if you have a second :)

No comments: